Yes, Joe has declared that we’re going to devote the next five days to Steve McQueen. So let’s kick things off with a basic quiz about this influential actor.
First, McQueen really was a STAR, not just in the U.S. but abroad as well.
During his reign, he was often known by just one tag — “Steve.” (Was he a James Dean with the follow-through?) He was one of the screen’s best action stars — ever.
His say-so got movies made, or shelved. His personal style offscreen — rebellious for the time — was an integral part of his mystique. (And, yes, he loved to ride motorcycles.)
His romances in the 70’s fed the gossip mills frequently. He was personally demanding, and could be a bit of a pain in the derrier. And his 44 credits from the mid-1950s through 1980 include some of the best titles ever to emerge from the then fading Hollywood studio factories.
Ok, on to our mini-quiz to see how much you recall of this iconic star, still to this day evoked as a pop culture figure. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: In marrying his second wife, actress Ali MacGraw in 1973, McQueen had cuckholded one of Hollywood’s most powerful studio executives at the time. Who is he? a) Howard Hughes; b) Harry Cohn; c) Robert Evans; or d) James Aubrey.
2) Question: In deciding to make the 1974 disaster movie, The Towering Inferno, McQueen insisted on one condition relating to his costar, Paul Newman. What was it? a) That McQueen got more closeups; b) That he and Newman had to have exactly the same amount of screen time; c) That he and Newman had to have equal script lines in the movie; or d) None of the above.
3) Question: Which one of the following McQueen titles still evokes chuckles from even the most devoted of the actor’s fans? a) 1960’s The Magnificent Seven; b) 1963’s Soldier in the Rain; c) 1958’s The Blob; or d) 1952’s Family Affair.
4) Question: McQueen died early, at age 50, after a lengthy, much publicized battle with what disease? a) Mesothelioma; b) Cardiac arrest; c) Lung cancer; or d) all of the above.
5) Question: McQueen was all set to costar with Newman in 1969’s Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but bowed out in favor of Robert Redford. a) True; or b) False.