How much did you know about one of the most reliable actors in movies? Are you able to identify the actress our man is posing with above?
Since this is the day for answers, we can tell you that he is our Quiz subject, Robert Young, and she is his infrequent costar, Eleanor Powell.
Young was a surprisingly versatile actor in the studio heydays, costarring in a range of productions from costume dramas to film noir. Nonetheless, he is remembered today for his two smash hit television series, Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby, M.D.
Robert Young the actor came across in each as a well-balanced, reliable patriarchal type who embodied a kind of sunny American optimism. Robert Young the man was different — prone to bouts of heavy drinking and depression.
Both came into play one morning in early January 1991 — the actor was 83 at the time (he died in 1998 at age 91). According to a report in The Los Angeles Times, county police were dispatched to Young’s home, and found a hose attached to the exhaust pipe of his vehicle. Young confessed to a suicide attempt following a bout of boozing.
In any case, he logged an extraordinarily long and versatile career, always at least on the cusp of stardom. Ok, let’s get to our answers. To review the questions just scroll down to the blog below. Here we go:
1) Answer: d) While at MGM the studio loaned Young out for the British-made thriller Secret Agent, costarring John Gielgud and Peter Lorre. Young was in good company.
2) Answer: a) True. See today’s introduction above.
3) Answer: Sorry, this is a trick question. Young costarred at various times with all four actresses.
4) Answer: Young’s key costars were b) Jane Wyatt on Father Knows Best and (c) James Brolin on Marcus Welby, M.D.
5) Answer: Young really did have an inferiority complex to a degree, saying that he often was assigned parts that more accomplished actors (notably Robert Montgomery) had turned down.