When most people think of Lucille Ball they think of her being a TV star, perhaps the Biggest Star television ever produced. We here at Classic Movie Chat think of her as a Movie Star.
So for this week’s quiz we’ve compiled a list of questions to see how many of you, loyal readers, know the ins and outs of Lucille Ball’s film career.
1) Lucy started her career in Hollywood as a Goldwyn Girl. True? or False?
2) She was known as Queen of the “B’s” at which studio?
3) Which classic star from the silent era was instrumental in teaching Ball about comedy which until the mid 1940’s was NOT her forte?
4) What was her “breakthrough” film which got MGM interested in buying her contract from her home studio? And who was her co-star in that movie?
5) Ball starred in at least two Film Noir pictures. What were they?
6) After Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz hit it big on TV they returned to the big screen with a two picture deal from her old studio MGM. The first film was based on a best selling book. What was it? The second film, Forever Darling, was not as big a hit and ended their brief film career as a duo.
7) Ball made more films in the 60s and 70s. Facts of Life re-teamed her with an old partner. Who? Then she scored a big hit with another former co-star in a film about blended families. Name it and him.
By the way, the four guys in last week’s pic were, of course, Clark Gable, Van Heflin, Gary Cooper and James Stewart. The three “youngsters” were Art Garfunkel, Candice Bergen and Jack Nicholson.
Lucille Ball answers tomorrow.