We’re back with our Monday Quiz format today, and couldn’t be happier about the choice of subjects. Why we haven’t yet come up with a quiz about this classic star is beyond us.
Thus, we hope we’re making up for lost time today. The central question is, of course, how much do you really know about Myrna Loy? It’s not too much of an exaggeration to say that she is essential to an understanding of the glories as well as the deficiencies of big studio classic Hollywood.
She is also something of the thinking man’s classic movie queen, sort of Joan Crawford with subtlety. That may be a blunt way of putting it, but in reality Crawford and Loy were contemporaries (both were born in 1905) with very different approaches to life onscreen and off.
When we asked a 90-something friend of ours, veteran trade journalist Hy Hollinger, who is his very favorite classic movie star, two words came back — Myrna Loy. This quiz is dedicated to Hy.
Let’s see how you’ll do with today’s 10-questions. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Bonne chance.
1) Question: When she was only 15, Loy began appearing in local stage productions in Los Angeles including some at Grauman’s Chinese Theater. Which one of the following “discovered” her during this period? a) Myron Selznick; b) Irving Thalberg; c) Rudolph Valentino; or d) David Selznick.
2) Question: How old was Loy when she made her first movie? a) 1 7; b) 19; c) 20; or d) 25.
3) Question: Which one of the following was NOT a nickname or reference to Loy? a) Queen of Hollywood; b) The Perfect Wife; c) Queen of the Movies or d) Minnie.
4) Question: Loy was known for her string of successful films made in the 1930’s. How many pictures did she actually make during that decade? a) 58; b) 14; c) 32; or d) 19.
5) Question: Loy and William Powell were famously paired in the exquisite Thin Man series of movies based on the work of novelist Dashiell Hammett. How many did they make together? a) eight; b) six; c) 14; or d) three.
6) Question: Although careful when speaking about costar Powell in public, Loy privately disliked the actor intensely. a) True; or b) False?
7) Question: Loy developed a loathing of Crawford because the latter beat out Loy for the leading role in the 1945 hit Mildred Pierce. a) True; or b) False?
8) Question: Over a 55-year-career covering more than 130 pictures Loy never won an Oscar. a) True; or b) False?
9) Question: One of the great regrets of Loy’s life was the fact that over four marriages she never produced any children. a) True; or b) False.
10) Question: In the late 30’s, Loy was nearly killed making a movie costarring Tyrone Power and George Brent when the horse she was riding on suddenly bolted. Can you name the movie? (Hint: It is an adventure story set in India in which Myrna plays “Lady Edwina Esketh”.)