Carole Lombard is almost as exciting a star today as she was 70 years ago. That is, her movies are as much a pleasure to watch as they undoubtedly were when they first came out.
Her signature films include My Man Godfrey, To Be or Not to Be, Twentieth Century and Nothing Sacred. There’s even a blog, listed on our blogroll to the right, devoted to her.
Her enduring appeal has, of course, much to do with her droll, comic approach to her best roles and her sexy likability onscreen. She also had the dubious advantage of dying early while wed to Hollywood’s biggest male star.
So, how much do you know about Carole Lombard? Take today’s Monday Quiz to find out. Questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Here’s an easy one to get things started. Who was the older man Lombard was married to when she died? What was their age difference?
2) Question: Lombard was called many things in her time but which one of the following is not among her nicknames? a) The profane angel; b) The Scourge of Bel Air; c) The Hoosier tornado; or d) Queen of screwball comedy.
3) Question: Exactly how old was Lombard when she died? a) 27; b) 19; c) 33; or d) 44.
4) Question: By far, Lombard’s favorite of her films was 1942’s To Be Or Not To Be, the comedy she made with Jack Benny. a) True; or b) False.
5) Question: Who was Lombard married to just before she fell in love with Gable? a) Artie Shaw; b) Howard Hughes; c) William Powell; or d) Gary Cooper.
6) Question: Lombard was happily married that famous Hollywood actor, but confessed that she had one regret about him. What was the problem? a) Hubby’s infidelities; b) His over dedication to his work; c) That she was never successful in having children by him; or d) His drinking.
7) Question: One Hollywood actress figured prominently in many of Lombard’s heated marital disputes with her famous Hollywood husband. Which one of the following fits the bill? a) Joan Crawford; b) Lupe Valez; c) Lana Turner; or d) Olivia DeHavilland.
8) Question: Which famous actress did that famous husband turn to while grieving Lombard’s untimely death? a) Joan Crawford; b) Lupe Valez; c) Lana Turner; or d) Olivia DeHavilland.
9) Question: Lombard was killed when the plane she was riding in crashed into a mountain in Nevada. What was the actress doing on this ill-fated journey to begin with? a) Fleeing a bad marriage; b) Selling World War II bonds; c) Making a movie; or d) Visiting her mother.
10) Question: Who affectionately called Lombard “ma” during their time together? a) William Powell; b) Franchot Tone; c) Jack Benny; or d) Louis B.Mayer.