She was a Texas-born beauty.
She landed a big studio Hollywood contract while still a teenager. She emerged in the 1940’s as one of Hollywood’s most winsome female stars, an actress who because she looked so good worked with an impressive array of classic movie directors.
Naturally, her private life was complicated — three marriages and several affairs. She shuffled off this mortal coil early (still only in her early 40’s) in 1965, but the memory lingers on. She was the personification of a Hollywood siren who lit up the screen.
She was, among other things, an early favorite of Twentieth Century Fox mogul, Darryl F. Zanuck, a man not easy to please. So, ok, how much do you know about Linda Darnell? Why not try out Monday Quiz and find out.
As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Darnell was just 16 years old when she made her movie debut. a) True; or b) False. And, can you name her first movie?
2) Question: Darnell turned high-powered male heads wherever she went, but which one of the following was particularly aggressive in courting her? a) Howard Hughes; b) Zanuck himself; c) director Joseph Mankiewicz; or d) Rex Harrison.
3) Question: What did Darnell have in common with Maureen O’Hara, Brenda Joyce, Gene Tierney and Betty Grable? a) All were terrific lookers; b) All were starting out at the same time; c) All were possible replacements for reigning Fox diva Alice Faye; or d) They had nothing in common.
4) Question: Darnell suffered an overbearing stage mother who pushed her at a very young age — tap dance classes at five, talent competitions at 11 and beauty contests at 14.a) True; or b) False?
5) Question: Which one of the following directors did Darnell NOT work with? a) Otto Preminger; b) John Ford; c) Preston Sturges; or d) Howard Hawks.
6) Question: Darnell had a falling out with 20th Century Fox mogul Zanuck that resulted in a deliberate downgrading of her career. What was the problem? a) Darnell rebuffed the moguls sexual advances; b) Darnell married a man Zanuck disproved of; c) The actress asked the boss for a tripling of her salary; or d) None of the above.
7) Question: Darnell waged a battle of the bottle for most of her career. a) True; or b) False.
8) Question: Darnell was watching one of her older movies on tv moments before she died. a) True; or b) False.
9) Question: Darnell’s as once considered a sex goddess who lit up the film noir genre in the Forties. She was much better in this regard than Marie Windsor and Audrey Totter. a) True; or b) False?
10) Question: Darnell really did marry the man who photographed her screen test. a) True; or b) False.