Brian who, you ask? We can’t say we blame you.
In the grand scheme of classic Hollywood, Brian Aherne was a relatively minor player. A refined Brit, a centerpiece of Hollywood’s famed English disapora during World War II, Aherne was a solid supporting player from the Thirties until the Fifties and Sixties.
He is perhaps best remembered today for the first woman he married (we’ll get to that shortly in our Quiz). There was no mistaking the respect for his talent. Aherne excelled on London and Broadway stages, in British-made films and some pretty good Hollywood ones. And, he was nominated for an Oscar.
You may not know a lot about Brian Aherne, but after you have some fun (we hope) taking today’s Monday Quiz, you’ll know more. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Aherne made a big Hollywood splash in the early Thirties playing a young sculptor in loved with a nude artists’ model. Which one of the following played the part of the latter? a) Hedy Lamarr; b) Joan Crawford; c) Marlene Dietrich; or d) Joan Fontaine.
2) Question: In addition to being a solid actor, Aherne was also an author who penned a nasty book about fellow Englishman George Sanders, whom he couldn’t stand. a) True; or b) False?
3) Question: The long list of Aherne leading ladies does NOT include which one of the following. a) Helen Hayes; b) Grace Kelly; c) Merle Oberon; or d) Annette Funicello.
4) Question: Which one of the following actresses shared passionate love scenes with Aherne off-screen as well as on. a) Joan Fontaine; b) Carole Lombard; c) Loretta Young; or d) Marlene Dietrich.
5) Question: Which one of the following actresses was the most frequent Aherne leading lady? a) Rosalind Russell; b) Bette Davis; c) Katharine Hepburn; or d) Loretta Young.
6) Question: On the advice of a fortune teller, Aherne got engaged to his first wife a week after meeting her for the first time. a) True; or b) False?
7) Question: Which one of the following actually was Aherne’s first wife? a) Olivia de Havilland; b) Eleanor de Liagre Labrot; c) Joan Fontaine; or d) Madeleine Carroll.
8) Question: Can you name the title of the movie which resulted in Aherne’s Oscar nomination in the best supporting actor category?
9) Question: Aherne’s first wife initially hesitated about romancing the actor because she was romantically entangled with Howard Hughes. a) True; or b) False?
10) Question: How many Hollywood movies did Aherne actually make? a) 10; b) nearly 35; c) 20; or d) 82.