Why should only top stars be the subject of our quizzes? Let’s continue to salute the great character actors of Hollywood’s Golden Era in our quiz format. For instance…….
One of the most recognizable character actors of the Golden Era, Fay Bainter had the distinction of being nominated for Best Actress Oscar and Best Supporting Actress Oscar in the same year.
She began as a child performer onstage in the last decade of the 19th century, and was still a teenager when she made her Broadway debut. She didn’t made her first movie until her early Forties, costarring with none other than Lionel Barrymore. Over an honored career she logged more than 65 credits, working right up to three years before her death in 1968.
Bainter was no glamourpuss. She had solid build offset by sympathetic eyes and an inviting voice. She was often cast was understanding wives, mothers or aunts. Nonetheless, she landed meaty role in movies starring the biggest stars of her period.
Let’s see how much you know about Fay Bainter. Questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Bainter won her best actress role for which of her pictures? a) White Banners; b) Jezebel; c) The Children’s Hour; or d) None of the above.
2) Question: Bainter won her best supporting actress Oscar for a) Dark Waters; b) This Side of Heaven; c) Cabbage Patch or d) None of the above.
3) Question: Which one of the following did Fay NOT costar with? a) Katherine Hepburn; b) Audrey Hepburn; c) Merle Oberon; or d) Terry Moore.
4) Question: In a 1947 movie, Bainter played the mother of which one of Hollywood’s best known comic actors? a) Danny Kaye; b) Bob Hope; c) Bert Lahr; or d) Red Skelton.
5) Question: A general query. Bainter’s birth date coincides with one of the most cataclysmic events in U.S. history. Can you name that big event?
Donald’s Mystery Guest: Friday’s blog featured a photo taken by our late pal Donald Gordon of one of his best Hollywood friends. Donald’s mystery guest was — Buster Crabbe.