There she is with Hedy Lamarr.
And there’s the movie that featured them both — Hedy and Spring Byington.
Now to the answers to our Spring Byington Quiz:
1) Question: As mentioned, Byington played a mother in Little Women. Which of the following were cast as her daughters? a) Joan Bennett; b) Jean Parker; c) Katharine Hepburn; or d) Frances Dee.
Answer: Oops. Another of our trick questions. All four actresses were supervised by mother Spring Byington in Little Women.
2) Question: Which of the following actors played BOTH a father and a husband to Byington in separate films. a) Boris Karloff; b) Fredric March; c) Lionel Barrymore; or d) Harry Morgan.
Answer: c) Lionel Barrymore who played Byington’s husband in 1935’s Ah Wilderness! and father in 1938’s You Can’t Take It With You.
3) Question: Byington was nominated for an Oscar for which one of the following titles? a) 1935’s Ah Wilderness; b) 1941’s When Ladies Meet; c) 1938’s You Can’t Take It With You; or d) 1936’s Dodsworth.
Answer: c) Byington was nominated for her role as feisty performance Penny Sycamore in You Can’t Take it With You.
4) Question: As mentioned, Byington carved out a pretty solid tv career as the star of which of the following series? a) Laramie; b) 77 Sunset Strip; c) December Bride; or d) Pete and Gladys.
Answer: c) Byington is perhaps most remembered for her role as an attractive widow living with her daughter and son-in-law in the CBS situation comedy, December Bride. The show ran for five seasons beginning in 1954, and was popular in syndication.
5) Question: Despite playing all those maternal roles, Byington was widely known in Hollywood as a fast-living woman off-screen, who went through several marriages. a) True; or b) False.
Answer: b) False. Byington was the soul of propriety offscreen (as well as on for the most part) and she married just once, to Roy Chandler. The divorce came in 1920.