Every once in a while, we try to come up with a particularly challenging Quiz. Today, less than well known subject – actress Ann Harding — allows us to do just that.
Well, who exactly is Ann Harding?
She was a solidly-grounded actress who began on the Broadway stage in the late 1920’s, and returned to the big boards decades later after her movie career waned. Like so many of her peers, she was also busy on television to the early 1960’s.
She was never a huge star but she was a name — and more than one Hollywood studio placed some bets on her success. At one point in the early Thirties (because of her waist-length blond hair; in truth, her looks were unconventional at best) — she was considered one of Hollywood’s most beautiful actresses.
Harding had her biggest hits early, and had the good sense to pull back when her stereotypical role, that of the self-sacrificing woman, grew a bit stale by the late Thirties. She returned in the Forties but found she was often cast in secondary roles. Then she turned productively to television and to the Broadway stage.
Harding’s last acting appearance came in 1965, in an episode of the Ben Casey series, a hospital drama starring Vince Edwards. She died in 1981, at the age of 80.
Ok, let’s clear the decks and see how much you know about Ann Harding. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: One of these famous actors played a key role in Harding’s career, appearing in pictures at the start and at the end of her career. Who is he? a) Fredric March; b) Clark Gable; c) William Powell; or d) Spencer Tracy.
2) Question: Harding was nominated in the best actress Oscar category for which one of her pictures? a) 1929’s Her Private Affair; b) 1932’s The Animal Kingdom; c) 1930’s Holiday; or d) 1937’s A Night of Terror.
3) Question: Which one of the following leading men did NOT costar with Harding onscreen? a) Ronald Colman; b) Gary Cooper; c) Leslie Howard; or d) William Bendix.
4) Question: Early in her carer Harding was groomed in Hollywood as another …. (fill in the blank with the name of one of the following actresses): a)Marlene Dietrich; b) Norma Shearer; c) Joan Crawford; or d) Myrna Loy.
5) Question: Harding divorced the first of her two husbands (actor Harry Bannister) for several reasons but principally because he: a) Refused to use deodorant; b) Was gay; c) Would show up on her movie sets, and meddle with her directors; or d) Declared bankruptcy.