Recognize the woman above? She was the first Italian sex symbol to make a splash in America.
No, she is not Gina Lollobrigida. Nor Sophia Loren. Nor Eleanora Rossi Drago. Nor Elsa Martinelli. And certainly not Claudia Cardinale.
For those of you aching with curiosity, check out the top left hand portion of the above photo, which reveals our actress’ identity. But stick around for our usual Monday Quiz, this time about who she is and why she is so remembered. Answers tomorrow.
- ) Question: What was the title of the film that made Hollywood sit up and take notice this earthy actress. a) Caio, Irving; b) Bitter Rice; c) Love Me, Alfredo; or d) Red Roses.
- ) Question: Our mystery leading lady was married for nearly 40 years to one of the most successful international film producers ever. Who is he? a) Joe Levine; b) Dino de Laurentiis; c) Carlo Ponti; or d) Darryl Zanuck.)
- ) Question: Like Gina Lollobrigida and Eleanora Rossie Drago, our mystery woman began her career as a beauty contest winner. a) True; or b) False.
- ) Question: Our mystery actress’ career was advanced early on by her love affair with which one of these important Italian actors? a) Enzio Pinza; b) Marcello Mastroianni; c) Raf Vallone; or d) Vittorio Gassman.
- ) Question: Which of these male stars did our mystery woman NOT costar with? a) Anthony Quinn; b) Jose Ferrer; c) Trevor Howard; or d) Dirk Bogarde.