We admit it – today’s quiz will really test your mettle.
The subject, our man above, has most likely escaped the attention of even the most dedicated classic movie fan. But believe it or not he was a name-above-the-title star and a heartthrob of the 1940s.(See below.)
Editorial observation: This rather stupid photo was used in publicizing the film. (That’s costar Signe Hasso to the right.)
Who exactly is this fellow? Ok, start wracking your brain. Herewith our William Eythe Quiz.
- Question: Eythe was considered in his prime sufficiently handsome to rival which one of the following actors? a) Van Heflin; b) Gary Cooper; c) Dennis O’Keefe; or d) Tyrone Power.
2. Question: Despite his budding heartthrob onscreen status, wasn’t William Eythe gay? a) Yes; b) No.
3. Question: Eythe actually had a pretty short Hollywood career hampered by frequent clashes with a) His female costars; b) His agent and manager; c) The scandal-mongering Hollywood press; or d) Studio bosses.
4. Question: What did Eythe and late broadcaster Mike Wallace have in common? a) Both worked in radio early in their careers; b) Both acted in tv dramas; c) Both married the same woman; or d) Both were portrayed by others in various tv dramas.
5. Question: Which of these movies did Eythe did NOT appear in? a) 1942’s The Ox-bow Incident; b) 1943’s The Song of Bernadette; c) 1944’s The Eve of St. Mark; or d) 1945’s A Royal Scandal.