Please, no sighs. No groans.
We know you already know just about everything there is to know about our Monday Quiz subject. You do, don’t you? Adding fuel to the conflagration is the fact that we have already covered Katharine Hepburn in our Monday Quiz format (back on Feb. 10 of this year.)
But the “First Lady of Cinema, ” with her multiple best actress Oscars spread carefully over more than 50 movie and tv credits, demands a second reader test.
Our approach is different this time. Our conventional questions will be supplemented by those inspired by author Karen Karbo’s How To Hepburn: Lessons on Living From Kate The Great, published (Bloomsbury) in 2007.
The idea of the book, roughly put, is to explore the possibility of living your life in somewhat the same fashion as did Hepburn. In short, the book encourages you to do what she did or would have done. Interesting notion.
So, here we go again. Questions today, answers tomorrow.
1) Question: Which one of the following titles did NOT win Hepburn a best actress Oscar? a) Morning Glory; b) Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner; c) The Lion In Winter; or d) Long Day’s Journey Into Night.
2) Question: When Hepburn costarred with John Wayne in 1975′s Rooster Cogburn, the two bullheaded, highly opinionated screen veterans got into many a verbal battle. a) True; or b) False.
3) Question: If you have had secret hip replacement surgery, as did Hepburn in 1974, what is the best way to handle your hospital stay? a) Sneak out at 4 in the morning; b) Carefully follow medical protocols to assure a successful stay; c) Berate your doctor mercilessly; or d) Do a “Joan Crawford” and allow press and photographers in your hospital suite.
4) Question: Hepburn so desperately wanted to marry director John Ford that she tried to bribe his wife, Mary, with a considerable sum of money to leave the marriage and open the way to wedding bells. a) True; or b) False?
5) Question: Hepburn had a list of rules that she refused to obey. Which one of the following was NOT on the list? a) Wear pants at every opportunity; b) Don’t wear makeup; c) Never smoke; or d) Keep your private life private.
6) Question: Hepburn was a lesbian and Spencer Tracy had homosexual leanings. a) True; or b) False.
7) Question: Hepburn is occasionally described by biographer as “androgynous” in that she had personal qualities of both sexes. Which of these traints did she exibit? a) Loved to cook; b) Loved to decorate; c) Submitted to men with drinking problems; or d) Was as bold as brass.
8) Question: If you are Katherine Hepburn, you faithfully observe the following dicta with one exception. Which one? a) Drink lots of water and urinate frequently; b) Keep a fire going in the fireplace even in hot weather; c) Eat out as often as possible; or d) Take as many daily showers as possible.
9) Question: Hepburn was a pioneer Hollywood feminist. a) True; or b) False?
10) Question: Before her affair with Spencer Tracy, Hepburn and mogul Howard Hughes fell deeply in love and were planning to get married. a) True; or b) False.