In our recent remembrance of Kay Francis (What About KAY FRANCIS, Feb. 26), we noted that there are few actresses who were as big in her time and that have been so forgotten today. That applies almost equally to our Monday Quiz subject as well, singer-actress Alice Faye.
Much like Francis, Faye had her run-ins with Hollywood officialdom — in this case, 20th Century Fox mogul Darryl Zanuck — but unlike Francis, she emerged triumphant. She quit in a huff at the top of her game, and lived nicely to tell about it.
What few recognize today is just how big a star was Faye. She was the female linchpin of a bigtime studio (Fox) in the late Thirties and Early Forties. She was highly popular overseas. And, little recognized now, she as a vocalist introduced nearly two dozen hit songs, which puts her in Bing Crosby territory.
So how much do you know about Alice Faye? Please take our Quiz and find out. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Faye was considered at her peak Fox’s resident blonde and its biggest musical star. Which of the following followed in her footsteps? a) Lana Turner; b) Betty Grable; c) Gene Tierney; or d) Marilyn Monroe.
2) Question: When she broke in at Fox, Faye was considered a carbon copy of: a) Jean Harlow; b) Myrna Loy; c) Carole Lombard; or d) Joan Crawford.
3) Question: As mentioned, Faye was rated among the creme de la creme of of Fox stars in the late Thirties. Which of the following were included in this elite group? a) Tyrone Power; b) Maureen O’Hara; c) John Payne; or d) Linda Darnell.
4) Question: Which one of the following classic American composers regarded Faye as the “best singer in Hollywood.” a) Irving Berlin; b) Cole Porter; c) George Gershwin; or d) Alec Wilder.
5) Question: Faye was married twice to famous musical personalities. Which of the following were at various times her husband? a) Tony Martin; b) Rudy Vallee; c) Ted Fio Rito; or d) Phil Harris.
6) Question: Faye made some of her most popular movies playing opposite Tyrone Power, but later confessed she personally couldn’t stand the handsome actor. a) True; or b) False?
7) Question: As mentioned, Faye had essentially a career-ending run-in with Fox mogul Zanuck. What was it all about? a) A standard contract dispute; b) Faye refused flat out to make another picture with Tyrone Power; c) Faye was angry because Zanuck had cut many of her scenes in 1945’s Fallen Angel to build up costar Linda Darnell; or d) She wanted to spend more time with her family.
8) Question: Faye had her share of international fans, but she was particularly popular in which one of the following overseas markets? a) Japan; b) France; c) Great Britain; or d) Iceland.
9) Question: Faye was considered a much bigger star than Fox contemporary Sonja Henie. a) True; or b) False?
10) Question: Fay was especially keen on working with child actors, particularly Shirley Temple. a) True; or b) False?