Yes, that’s Oscar winner Claire Trevor with our late pal Donald Gordon in a rarely before seen photo. It’s from our Donald Gordon Collection of informal snapshots circa 1940’s Hollywood.
Claire had a long career (from the early 30’s until the late 80’s) and a diverse one. When this picture was taken with Donald, she was on her way to bigtime stardom.
A mystery to us — who were fortunate enough to be bequeathed Donald’s treasure trove of informal snaps taken in 40’s Hollywood — is the identity of the person who took the photos that included DG. Donald took most of the photos himself, but there are a few, such as the one with Claire, that someone else took. Who that person is remains a mystery.
The photo indicates both Donald and Claire, together or separately, were prepared for an eventful evening on the town. Ah, Hollywood in the 40’s.
Now, on to our Claire Trevor Quiz. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Ok, let’s see how much you know about this splendid actress. Here we go:
1) Question: Trevor was Oscar nominated twice but never won the big prize. a) True; or b) False?
2) Question: In a career that stretched over a half century, Trevor became famous for playing a) blowsy molls; b) imperious mothers; c) tarts or d) all of the above.
3) Question: Let’s not forget that the New York City-native Trevor, (born Claire Wemlinger in 1910), was informally called “the Queen of Film Noir.” To make the point there is 1947’s Born To Kill in which Trevor squares off with which one of the following leading men? a) Humhrey Bogart; b) Lawrence Tierney; c) Edward G. Robinson; or d) Broderick Crawford.
4) Question: Which one of the following directors did Trevor NOT work with in the movies? a) John Ford; b) William Wyler; c) Alfred Hitchcock; or d) Vincente Minnelli.
5) Question: Who was Trevor’s favorite male costar? a) Spencer Tracy; b) Bogart; c) Robinson or d) Crawford.