How much did you know about one of the most popular stars of his era? He really was that, you know, although his name has faded over time even among dedicated classic movie fans.
George Brent was a hard working smoothie, rolling up more than 100 movie credits over two decades. He also was busy in the romance department since he seemed to tame some of the most temperamental females stars of the Thirties and Forties.
He was a laid-back delight in most of his movies, and played the sophisticated gent to perfection. Ok, let’s get to the answers to our Monday Quiz. As usual, to review the questions, just scroll down to the blog below. Here we go:
1) Answer: d) Brent was born in Ireland in 1904. He died in California at age 75.
2) Answer: b) Bette Davis was Brent’s most frequent female costar. They made nearly a dozen pictures together.
3) Answer: a) Ruth Chatterton was wife No. 2, and c) Ann Sheridan was No. 4.
4) Answer: As our photo indicates, Brent’s facial trademark was d) the mustache he is sporting above.
5) Answer: b) False. Brent was born George Brendan Nolan, and got deeply involved in the Irish Rebellion after leaving the Univ. of Dublin, and had to migrate to Canada. He found himself on the Broadway stage in the 1920’s, and moved on to Hollywood in 1930. In short, he came from more or less a hardscrabble backround especially since he was orphaned at age 11.
6) Answer: a) 1934’s The Painted Veil, an adaptation of a a novel by W. Somerset Maugham. Brent plays a dashing diplomat romancing Garbo’s Katrin.
7) Answer: 1945’s The Spiral Staircase. Brent is very good, and so is the picture. Highly recommended.
8) Answer: Bette Davis.
9) Answer: As hinted at in the answer to No. 5, Brent distinguished himself by a) running guns for the Irish rebels, the Sinn Fein led by Michael Collins.
10) Answer: Brent made b) more than 100 pictures. He was a popular workhorse.