She was a petite beauty who had looks of a Florida-born belle named Dixie who drew the attentions of one of America’s best known war heroes.
Her career (some 45 movie and tv credits over a span of nearly 30 years) was no great shakes, less interesting in fact than her marital adventures. Yet, she became something of a Hollywood household name in the Forties and Fifties, and still working up until seven years before her death at age 52 (of double pneumonia) in 1981.
Wanda Hendrix began her Hollywood career as a B movie fixture before graduating to A-list films such as 1949’s Prince of Foxes with Tyrone Power. Her colorful marital life then intervened, and once it first phase was over she found it hard to regain her former stature, such as it was.
No question she was a sultry looker who made her mark. Forgotten today? Perhaps. But also, perhaps, worth remembering. Now — on to our Wanda Hendrix Quiz. (As usual, answers tomorrow.)
1) Question: He first spotted Wanda’s photo on the cover of a national magazine, and instantly fell. Who is he? a) Porfirio Rubirosa; b) Howard Hughes; c) Audie Murphy; or d) John Hodiak.
2) Question: Which of the following leading men did Wanda NOT costar with? a) Alan Ladd; b) Charles Coburn; c) Richard Conte; or d) Charles Laughton.
3) Question: Wanda’s second husband was the brother of which one of the following actors? a) Groucho Marx; b) Robert Stack; c) Ricardo Montalban; or d) Dana Andrews.
4) Question: Which one of these tv series did Hendrix NOT appear in? a) Bat Masterson; b) My Three Sons; c) Wagon Train; or d) Route 66.
5) Question: Wasn’t Hendrix so enraged by her first marriage that she had planned to write a tell all “autobiography” to even the marital score against her famous husband? a) True; or b) False.