Did you know, for example, that they even got billing above Debbie Reynolds?
Yes, their star shone brightly for a few years. Today, the memory is a bit less bright. But no question, Marge and Gower Champion were the toast of Hollywood in the Forties and Fifties. Now, on to our Quiz answers.
1) Question: In addition to their professional collaboration, the Champions enjoyed one of Hollywood’s longest and apparently happiest marriages. a) True; or b) False?
Answer: Not quite. We say the answer here is (b) False. Fact is the Champion’s marriage, begun in 1947, ended in divorce 26 years later. Both Gower and Marge married others subsequently. But both personally and professionally, they enjoyed quite a ride.
2) Question: Gower Champion won more director-choreographer Tony Awards than Bob Fosse. a) True; or b) False.
Answer: Yup, it’s (a) True. Gower Champion nabbed 15 Tony nominations for his work, and won eight. (Fosse won seven.) Why is it that Fosse is remembered today but, unfortunately, Champion is not?
3) Question: Late in her career, Marge Champion appeared on tv in an unsympathetic role, notably of a politically incorrect character. What was the part? a) A ballet teacher with a bias against black students; b) A closeted gay who stridently pretends to be straight; c) A gun-toting speech instructor; or d) none of the above.
Answer: a). In 1982, Marge Champion appeared on the tv series Fame, playing a ballet teacher with racial biases.
4) Question: Which one of the following titles did Marge and Gower Champion NOT appear in? a) 1950’s Mr. Music; b) 1955’s Three For The Show; c) 1952’s Lovely To Look At; or d) 1953’s The Band Wagon.
Answer: d) The Band Wagon. The stars of that one are Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse.
5) Question: In the summer of 1957, the Champions starred in their own tv series , a situation comedy with song and dance numbers. The cast included a fictional drummer named Cozy played by: a) Cozy Cole; b) Gene Krupa; c) Buddy Rich; or d) Elvin Jones.
Answer: c) Tthe masterful drummer and not-half-bad screen personality Buddy Rich.