Never a top rung star Laraine Day nevertheless had a long and successful career. She was the screen embodiment of refined glamour — a bigtime looker — sufficiently commonsensical to be brought home to meet mother.
Joe thinks one of her best films was 1940′s Foreign Correspondent. Certainly it boasted of the best credentials, although Day should be remembered as well for skillfully playing a range of parts ranging from — virtuous society girls to girl Fridays to psychotic murderesses to possible ax murder victims. Her most memorable roles took place in, of all things, medical settings.
Her both-feet-touch-the-ground appeal at least partially explains by why she spent so much of her 49-year career appearing on various tv series. Her offscreen life took a marital detour which had the effect of crowning Day as an informal queen of a sport defined as America’s national pastime.
Ok, let’s see how much you remember (she died in 2007 at age 87) about Laraine Day. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: Day’s career in the movies started in 1937, and she was quickly signed to a contract by which one of the following studios? a) MGM; b) 20th Century Fox; c) Walter Wanger Productions; or d) RKO.
2) Question: Laraine Day was not her real name. Why did she change the name she was born with? a) Because she was embarrassed about her ethnic back round; b) She was following a studio dictate; c) Just for the hell of it; or d) none of the above.
3) Question: Which one of the following did Day NOT costar with? a) Joel McCrea; b) Ronald Colman; c) Cary Grant; or d) Gary Cooper.
4) Question: Day was a big hit as nurse ‘Mary Lamont’ in the ‘Dr. Kildare’ series of movies. How many of then did she costar in? a) 15; b) seven; c) 10; or d) three.
5) Question: Day caught a break when she unexpectedly landed a key part in Charles Vidor’s 1940 melodrama, My Son, My Son! Which one of the following did she replace in the cast? a) Hedy Lamarr; b) Miriam Hopkins; c) Sylvia Sidney; or d) Frances Dee.
6) Question: Day claimed a family religious back round that was considered unusual in Hollywood. What was it? a) She came from a prosperous Mormon family; b) She was an Orthodox Jew; c) She was an avowed and avid atheist; or d) She was a Shaker.
7) Question: Day was famously married to which one of the following baseball notables? a) Branch Rickey; b) Del Webb; c) Leo Durocher; or d) Phil Rizzuto.
8) Question: As noted Day is well remembered for her role in Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller, Foreign Correspondent. Which role does she play in the picture? a) A floozy who romances lead Joel McCrea; b) A politician’s daughter; c) A traitorous cleaning lady who betrays secrets; d) The girlfriend of British journalist George Sanders.
9) Question: Which of the following were Day’s principal costars in the ‘Dr. Kildare’ movies? a) Lew Ayres; b) Lionel Barrymore; c) Alma Kruger; or d) all of the above.
10) Question: Day loved baseball until the day she died. a) True; or b) False?