For the last month we’ve been quizzing you about the stars of Joe’s book (with Edward Z. Epstein), Gable, Lombard, Powell and Harlow. No first names needed.
Jean Harlow’s been dead for almost 80 years and yet she still qualifies as a Movie Star. Why?
Well, she slept in the nude and was proud of it. She preferred not to wear underwear in public. She was Marilyn Monroe’s idol, married unwisely in spectacular fashion (one of her husbands met his death violently in her boudoir), romanced some of the most famous men alive in the Thirties (see above), and had the added advantage of dying early at the top of her career.
Most of all, she was a pleasure to watch onscreen, funny, earthy, sexy and entirely beguiling. She claimed she was never a first class actress, but she couldda fooled us. She could be considered a poor man’s Carol Lombard.
In any event, Harlow is someone you probably should know more about. She led a colorful and productive life, and we hope to highlight some of it in today’s Monday Quiz. As usual, questions today and answers tomorrow.
Here we go:
1) Question: Exactly how old was Harlow when she died? a) 43; b) 26; c) 37; or d) 49.
2) Question: Which of the following nicknames was Harlow NOT known by? a) Baby; b) The Platinum Blond; c) The Blonde Bomshell; or d) The statue of Libido.
3) Question: Harlow posed for a nude photograph at 17, and dated famous gangsters. a) True; or b) False?
4) Question: Which one of Harlow’s films drew some 200,000 fans outside Grauman’s Chinese Theater at its opening in 1930? a) Platinum Blond; b) Hold Your Man; c) Hell’s Angels; or d) Public Enemy.
5) Question: How many movies did Harlow make with Clark Gable, her sometime lover? a) 1; b) 15; c) 6; d) 9.
6) Question: Which one of the movies made with Gable remains the most famous?
7) Question: Like Marilyn Monroe, Harlow committed suicide under suspicious circumstances. a) True; or b) False.
8) Question: Which one of the following really was the love of Harlow’s later life? a) Howard Hughes; b) Harold Rosson; c) Franchot Tone; or d) William Powell.
9) Question: Although she had the reputation of “just one of the boys” on the movie set, Harlow was really a bit of a snob sorting a touch of the recluse. a) True; or b) False?
10) Question: Harlow was discovered by three studio executives who spotted her sipping a chocolate malt at Schwab’s drug store. a) True; or b) False?