She may not be as revered today as her noir sisters (such as Lizabeth Scott, Gloria Grahame or Jane Greer) but she played in the Forties and Fifties key roles in some of the biggest and nastiest genre titles ever made.
She also worked extensively outside of noir arena with some of classic Hollywood’s sturdiest directors. So, let’s see how much you know about one of our favorite noir dames, one who could turn on the nastiness or the charm in the blink of an eye.
As usual questions today and answers tomorrow. Here we go:
1) Question: In which one of the following titles did Gray say, “I may not be pretty and I may not be smart”? a) Kiss of Death; b) State Fair; c) The Killing; or d) The Sleeping City.
2) Question: In fact, Gray was pretty and smart, a highly sophisticated product of an affluent midwestern family. a) True; b) False?
3) Question: From mid-career on, Gray made a ton of tv appearances. Which one of the following tube series was she most identified with? a) Perry Mason; b) The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet; c) McLoud; or d) The Virginian.
4) Question: Which one of the following was NOT among Gray’s leading men? a) Tyrone Power; b) John Payne; c) Montgomery Clift; or d) Charles McGraw.
5) Question: Gray’s first of three husbands was a famous tv director with ties to George Burns and Gracie Allen. Can you name him?
6) Question: Which one of the following is the name that Coleen Gray was born with? a) Doris Jensen; b) Johnnie Collier; c) Rita Cansino; or d) Lucille LeSueur.
7) Question: Which one of these directors did Gray NOT work with? a) Howard Hawks; b) Alfred Hitchcock; c) Stanley Kubrick; or d) Edmund Goulding.
8) Question: Coleen Gray share one notable personal characteristic with our previous two Monday Quiz subject, Marie Windsor and Audrey Totter. What is it?
9) Question: One of Gray’s male costars in 1952′s Kansas City Confidential went on to international stardom thanks to the roles he played alongside Clint Eastwood in “spaghetti westerns” directed by Sergio Leone. Can you name him?
10) Question: In the early Seventies, Gray costarred with this famous actress in an MGM melodrama about religion and alcohol. Can you name this famous actress? (Hint: Think The Magnificent Ambersons).